With proper Somerset County generator maintenance, a generator can last for decades. The better the Somerset County generator maintenance, the longer your generator will function without the need for extensive repairs, which can translate into serious cash from buying expensive parts or even replacing the whole unit. Here are some top Somerset County generator maintenance tips to help you keep your electrical generator safe and ready to go when the power runs out.
Somerset County Generator Maintenance Tips
- Purchase a warranty or backup generator. This may seem pretty self-explanatory, but investing in a warranty might be the best thing to protect yourself when power runs out as generators aren’t cheap. Get to know the coverage because it can be full or partial. Investing in a back-up generator can also help control your home insurance costs as well.
- Invest in a cover or an enclosure. Electricity is susceptible to water and the slightest rainfall might damage a part that might cost a pretty penny. Depending on whether your generator is a standby model or portable, you’ll want to invest in either a cover or an enclosure. Another suggestion is to build a generator garage similar to that of a doghouse for a portable generator.
- Prevent motor burn-out. Use heavy-duty cords for less voltage use which can also prevent premature burn-out. Lighter cords increase the voltage. And since generators are noisy, you might be better off investing in a longer cord for uninterrupted sleep.
- Power up your generator every three months. Manufacturers recommend running generators every three months for about 30 minutes to charge the battery for the electric starter. The last thing you’ll want is to discover that your electric starter isn’t working in time of need.
- Fill up your tank. Avoid damaging your generator by keeping your tank filled with gas. When a generator runs out of gas, they stop power while the electrical load in your home will suck the magnetic field from the generator itself.
- Be on top of oil and fresh filters. The last thing you want to be doing is shopping for new oil or a filter during a long power outage, so keep a supply of oil and filters.
- Do your homework. You don’t want to purchase a generator that will exceed the maximum capacity that your generator is able to put out. Be sure to read the ratings before buying a generator. There’s the higher “maximum” or “starting” rating or the “rated” or “continuous” watts. If you buy a generator for the higher power level, it will only work for a short time and at that level. But at the end of the day, that generator won’t extend its running capacity.
A generator can be a lifesaver in times of prolonged periods of power outages. And when have proper Somerset County generator maintenance, it gives you and your family the right peace of mind.
Looking for Professional Somerset County Generator Maintenance Services?
Somerset County generator maintenance is vital to having peace of mind in the event of an emergency involving power outage. To ensure that your generator is always ready to go, you must make sure you schedule maintenance twice a year. Bold Electric, LLC., the parent company of boldgenerators.com, provides just the services you need. We have built a strong reputation in the field of generator work and provide high quality service to the Union County area. For more information on our services, call (908)421-9157 or visit the website!